VASILOPITA – NEW YEARS DAY CAKE
Vasilopita is a traditional Greek cake that we make on the 1st of January every year. Before baking the cake, wrap a gold coin in some foil and place it inside the cake batter. Whoever receives the gold coin in their slice of cake will have a “lucky year”.
- zest of 1 orange
- 125g orange juice
- 375g white sugar
- 250g soft butter
- 3 eggs
- 125g milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 440g self raising our
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 10g brandy, optional
- gold coin
- foil to wrap the gold coin
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees, fan forced and line a cake tin. Wrap a gold coin in foil.
- Peel an orange with a peeler and add it to the bowl. Try to only peel the orange skin and avoid any white pith. Use the rest of the orange to make freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Add the sugar (375g) to the bowl with the orange peel and zest for 10 seconds/speed 9.
- Add to the bowl: butter (250g), eggs (3), orange juice (125g), milk (125g) and vanilla (1 tsp). Beat for 3 minutes/speed 6.
- Add the remaining cake ingredients: self raising flour (440g), baking powder (1 tsp) and brandy (10g). Blend for 10 seconds/speed 8.
- Scrape down the sides and blend again for 3 seconds/speed 8.
- Pour the batter into prepared cake tin. Drop the coin into the cake batter. Bake in a hot oven for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave out the milk and substitute with more orange juice if preferred.
- Decorate the vasilopita using icing sugar, almonds or icing.
- Cut the cake in a special order from the eldest to the youngest. Read more about this on Sia’s other blog here: How To Cut Vasilopita
Vasilopita Cake Recipe For Your Thermomix
The full recipe is exclusively featured in the Christmas Collection cookbook. For that reason, the quantities and steps are not listed in this blog post. However a list of ingredients is provided to help you with your shopping list and meal planning (especially helpful if you use the paprika recipe app) and also some tips. Receive an immediate download of the e-book as soon as the purchase is confirmed.