Have you ever tried making a lamb shank recipe in your Thermomix? They turn out to be so soft and delicious and topped off with the most delicious sauce they are a must try! I often make this osso bucco recipe in my Thermomix but this time I thought it would be nice to make the sauce and pour it over some lamb shanks. I slowly cooked it in the oven for several hours until the meat was falling off the bones. Everyone raved about it when they ate it and now its a regular in our house.
I have made it with or without rice, adding veggies to the sauce in the last hour or so. I also have changed up the type of vegetables in the sauce depending on what I have on hand. For example sometimes I just use carrot. Other times I use carrot, zucchini and celery. You can change it to your preference. One thing I would highly suggest though is don't skip out on the chilli sauce!! This really makes the dish pop in your mouth. If anything add more if you like a bit of spice to it. I'm usually cooking for the kids so only use 2 tablespoons in this dish.
Lamb shank in your Thermomix
The other option you have is to cook it in your Thermomix. You can put around 4 lamb shanks in the steaming dish, add extra water to the sauce and steam them on top until the meat is falling off the bones. This still takes several hours and you will have to remember to top up with water as needed. I choose to make the sauce and throw it all in the pan and cook it in the oven. This way I don't have to think about it while it cooks. It's a really easy set and forget recipe.
Now, go give it a try and don't forget to let me know what you think of it in the comments!
Slow Cooked Lamb Shank Thermomix Recipe
- 6 large lamb shanks
- 50g olive oil/butter
- 150g or 1 large brown onion, peeled and cut in half
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 100g or 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 zucchini, roughly chopped
- 2 tbs tomato paste – try making your own!
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbs Fayi Hot Chilli Sauce
- 30g of honey or sugar (optional or to taste)
- 400g tin of diced tomatoes
- 50g water
- Pre-heat oven to 120 degrees.
- Place onion (150g), garlic (2), carrots (100g) and zucchini (1) into the bowl and chop for 15 seconds/speed 4.
- Scrape down sides. Add olive oil (50g) and sauté for 5 mins/100 degrees/reverse/slowest speed.
- Add the rest of the ingredients excepted the lamb shanks to the bowl: tomato paste (2 tbs), cinnamon (1 tsp), paprika (1 tsp), hot chilli sauce (2 tbs), honey (30g), diced tomatoes (400g) and water (50g).
- Blend for 15 seconds/reverse/speed 3.
- Arrange the lamb shanks in a cooking dish. Pour the prepared sauce on top and seal the tray with aluminium foil.
- Place into the oven for around 4 hours depending how large your lamb shanks are.
- If your lamb shanks are small you can also steam them in the steaming dish. Add 1000g more water to the sauce and cook 90 minutes/steaming temperature/speed 2. Turn the shanks over, fill with 500g more water if needed and continue to steam 90 minutes/steaming temperature/speed 2. Check to see if its cooked to your preference. Otherwise continue to cook until the meat comes away from the bone.
- To hide the veggies a bit more, chop them using speed 5 at step 2.
- Serve with a side of rice or add some pasta. Or add some rissoni or veggies to the pan in the last hour or half an hour depending on the type you are using.
- Make your own tomato paste using this recipe: Fayi Tomato Paste Recipe
- Make your own chilli sauce with this recipe: Fayi Hot Chilli Sauce Recipe
- Peel garlic with this trick: How To Peel Garlic In Your Thermomix