Do you enjoy having something a little different for your morning breakfast? With eggs being a staple in our house sometimes it's nice to be able to enjoy something thats not typically deemed healthy. With so many allergies and restrictions in my house we finally came up with a waffle recipe the kids loved and devoured.
This recipe is gluten, grain, dairy and refined sugar free. The waffles aren't crunchy but you can definitely alter them to be if you prefer. They are more light, fluffy and a little soft in texture. They are so fast to make that you will have them whipped up in just a couple of minutes ready for the waffle iron. This is a simple recipe for your Thermomix. You could easily make them in any high speed blender as well.
Tips For Perfect Gluten, Grain, Dairy and Refined Sugar Free Waffles
Some tips shared with me from the help of my testing team was that if you prefer a crispier waffle add some tapioca flour to the mix. You can use any sugar replacement of preference, you can serve with some fruit preserves and this recipe works with silicon waffle moulds in the oven or a waffle iron just don't forget to grease before making each waffle. One more tip was to not overfill the pan! The mixture is very runny to start with but they puff up a lot so only half fill or the waffle maker will spill over when cooking.
You can eat these waffles freshly cooked, store them in the fridge, freeze them and reheat in the toaster! Now who doesn't like a quick and easy breakfast that can be reheated.
100g almond meal
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
50 g honey
honey or maple syrup to serve
1. Turn on waffle maker to heat up.
2. Add all ingredients to bowl: almond meal (100g), salt (1/2 tsp), bicarb (1/2 tsp), eggs (4), honey (50g)
3. Bend 10 seconds/speed 5. Scrape down sides and repeat.
4. Grease waffle maker with cooking spray.
5. Pour a little of the mixture onto the hot greased waffle pan. The mixture will be runny but only half fill the pan as it will rise a lot. Cook until browned.
5. Continue to cook each individual waffle until all the mixture is used.
6. Serve with extra honey or maple syrup on top.
Recipe can be doubled
Honey can be replaced for preferred sweetener
For a crispier texture add 1 tbsp of tapioca flour
Serve with fruit, cottage cheese or fruit preserves
For silicon waffle moulds cook in oven for 25 minutes at 180 degrees
The bicarbonate can be replace for baking powder