Stifado is typically a stew made from meat, tomatoes, onions and herbs. This recipe can be made with beef cheeks or oyster blade and it has been converted so that you can make it in your Thermomix.
Chrystalla ordered a whole cow a little while ago since then, she has been experimenting with different cuts of beef. This recipe for stifado has been made with beef cheeks. You might also like to see our other beef recipes which include:
Read more about why we prefer to purchase a whole cow for meat and then cook with all of the cuts in this blog post: How To Buy A Whole Cow For Meat – Brisbane Home Delivery From Maleny Black Angus Beef
STIFADO – BEEF CHEEKS
This Recipe Has Been Sponsored By: Maleny Black Angus Beef
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 stick of fresh rosemary or 1 tbs dry rosemary
- 2 brown onions, peeled and halved
- 50g olive oil
- 200g of red wine
- 1000g water
- 1 tbs stock paste
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbs tomato paste (try making your own)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- pepper to taste
- 20g Worcestershire sauce
- 60g red wine vinegar
BEEF & VEGETABLES
- 1000g beef cheeks or oyster blade
- 1 brown onion, peeled and quartered
- ½ dried oregano
- 1 stick of fresh rosemary or 1 tbs dried rosemary
- 500g water
- 500g potatoes, peeled and cubed into bite size pieces
- a mix of vegetables to fill the steaming dish such as beans, peas, corn, carrots etc.
- Place garlic (2) and leaves from the rosemary stick (1) in the bowl and chop for 10 seconds/speed.
- Scrape down the sides and add the onions (2). Chop for 3 seconds/speed 5. Scrape down the sides.
- Add oil (50g) and sauté for 5 minutes/100 degrees/reverse/speed 1.
- Add all other sauce ingredients to bowl: red wine (200g), water (1000g), stock paste (1 tbs), tin diced tomatoes (400g), tomato paste (1 tbs), bay leaf (1), oregano (1 tsp),cinnamon stick (1), bay leaves (2), cloves (4),Worcestershire sauce (20g), red wine vinegar (60g) and pepper to taste.
- Add beef cheeks (1000g) to the large steaming dish and top with rosemary stick (1), oregano (½ tsp) and quartered onion (1). Set the steaming dish in place on top of the bowl and lid and cook for 60 minutes/steaming temperature/reverse/speed 2.
- Add 500g of water then cook for another 60 minutes/steaming temperature/reverse/speed 2.
- Check the meat. If the meat is nearly cooked, then add cubed potatoes (500g) in the large steaming dish around the meat. Add the vegetables to tray and cook for another 20-30 minutes/steaming temperature/speed 2 or continue until the potatoes and vegetables are cooked to your liking.
- Mix all the cooked vegetables in the sauce and serve it with the cooked beef cheeks. Or make mashed potatoes from the steamed potatoes to serve on the side.
- Add a tablespoon of Fayi Hot Chilli Sauce and a tablespoon of honey to the sauce for an extra flavour boost!
- Try making your own tomato paste with this recipe: Fayi Tomato Paste
- Leave a hole in the centre of the steaming dish to allow the steam to flow up and cook the meat and vegetables.