Playdough For Kids
The cold and rainy weather usually means more time spent indoors. Entertain your kids making play dough!
This activity is a great way for children to learn about aromatherapy & essential oils and it is great for sensory development through fun & play. It also has therapeutic benefits: Wild Orange to promote fun energy; Peppermint to promote focus & clarity, use Lemon or Breath to help fight infection and stuffy noses, or Lavender to help calm and prepare for sleep.
We like to match the oil to the colours or let the kids pick the scent they feel like they would like to play with.
- Wild orange for Orange
- Lavender for Purple
- Balance for Green
- Breath for Blue
- Lemon for Yellow
- 110g rock salt or granulated
- 250g water
- 20g cream of tartar
- 250g plain flour
- 10g olive oil, or preferred oil
- food colouring *amount will depend on the colour you are trying to achieve
- extra flour for dusting and to get dough off the blades or if adding lot of colour.
- Add salt (110g) to bowl and mill 10 seconds/speed 10.
- Scrape down sides and add water (250g) and cream of tartar (20g). Cook for 5 minutes/60 degrees/speed 3.
- Add the flour (250g), oil (10g) and food colouring. Set the kneading function and Knead/1 minute.
- Tip dough onto bench and bring together. If the mixture is sticky or if there is a lot of dough around the blades, add some flour and blitz for 10 seconds/speed 4 to flick the excess off. Add this extra mixture to the dough on the bench.
- Allow the dough to cool. Glad wrap and store in an airtight container for later use or give it to the children to play with as soon as it is cool enough.
- To make a few different colours of playdough, add the colouring in last and knead it into the dough one colour at a time.
- If lots of food colouring is added, you may need to add some extra flour.
- We recommend using the Hoppers Natural Food Colours to avoid any nasty chemicals being consumed, touched or absorbed into the skin. (See notes below: Natural Food Colouring)
- Create sensory playdough by adding some doTERRA essential oils. It has therapeutic benefits.
Natural Food Colouring
We recommend using the hoppers branded colouring to avoid any nasty chemicals. Even though the playdough is not recommended for consumption we know that kids will often put playdough in their mouths so if we use a safe colouring we do not have to stress. Children will also absorb what they are playing with through the pores on their hands so if we can avoid them absorbing more chemicals that is always preferable.