Yiayia’s Trelou, Trelou, Lamb And Vegetable StewClick Here to Download This Recipe Card For Printing >>
Τρελου, Τρελου – Crazy, crazy Lamb and Vegetable Stew is a recipe Thermomix recipe I converted from my Yiayia (grandma) Yvette. She says this is the recipe her mum would make them when she was using up everything in the fridge. With 13 brothers and sisters, the food had to be stretched out as much as possible. If they didn’t quite have enough meat to feed the whole family, then it would just be left out. You could use up any veggies you have on hand. That’s why it’s called trelou, trelou – crazy, crazy! Might have to record Yiayia saying this one for you! I still find it a real tongue twister.
It’s a red based stew with some really surprising flavours. My hot tip for you would be to adjust the spice to taste! Like it really hot? Double the peppers! Does your tongue just burns at the sight of peppers? Maybe skip them altogether. It definitely does bring in the unique flavour profile though.
Please let us know if you make any variations to this recipe by sharing your tips with our facebook group or leave a comment on the blog.
Lamb And Vegetable Stew Thermomix RecipeClick Here to Download This Recipe Card For Printing >>
150g or 1 onion, peeled and halved
1 large garlic clove, peeled
40g olive oil
800g lamb forequarter pieces, roughly chopped into large chunks
400g tomato puree
50g tomato paste
2 small hot finger peppers, added whole or cut up if large
1 tsp salt
155g or 3 small carrots, peeled and roughly chopped into 2cm pieces
200g or 4 small or 1 large eggplants, roughly chopped into 3cm pieces
145g or 2 small zucchinis, roughly chopped into 1cm pieces
50g baby spinach
- Add onion (150g) and garlic (1) to bowl and chop 3 seconds/speed 5.
- Scrape down sides and add some of the olive oil (40g). Cook 3 minutes/100 degrees/speed 1.
- Add lamb pieces (800g), tomato puree (400g) and the tomato paste (50g) and cook 5 minutes/100 degrees/reverse/slowest speed.
- Add water (400g), peppers (2), salt (1 tsp), butter (30g) and cook for 15 minutes/100 degrees/reverse/slowest speed.
- Add carrots (155g) and cook for 10 minutes/100 degrees/reverse/slowest speed.
- Add eggplants (200g) and cook for 10 minutes/100 degrees/reverse/slowest speed.
- Add zucchini (145g) and cook for 10 minutes/100 degrees/reverse/slowest speed.
- Add baby spinach (50g) and cook for 5 minutes/100 degrees/reverse/slowest speed.
- Serve hot with some rice.
- Reduce the amount of water and meat if using a bowl that is smaller than 2.2L. Do not exceed your bowls maximum capacity. This recipe has been catered for the MAXIMUM for a large serve. Reduce the quantities if preferred. Start by reducing the meat by 200g.
- Replace the butter with more olive oil to make it dairy free.
- If you like more heat, add more peppers.
- You can change the type or cut of meat to your preference. Try beef strips or cubes, chicken tenderloins or chicken thighs. Cooking times may vary.
- The point of this recipe is to use up all the bits and pieces in your fridge. Any vegetable could really be used. Try adding some potatoes with the carrots. Add some mushrooms with the zucchini. Swap the spinach for silver beet.
- Serve with some mash potatoes instead of rice.
- Serve it with some homemade Greek Yoghurt – recipe available in the Mezze cookbook.