“My husband’s family often cooked dinner and called it Kokkinisto.
I never really knew what the word meant exactly, I just thought it was some sort of cooked meat.
koh-kee-nee-STOH means the meat has been reddened. It is a way of cooking and the meat is browned before adding to a stew made with a tomato-based sauce. Any red sauces are John’s families specialty!”
Kreas Kokkinisto Osso Bucco Recipe Converted For Your Thermomix
Honouring: John’s Family
- 1000g-1200g osso bucco steaks, cut into pieces or use diced beef pieces
- 50g olive oil plus extra for frying
- 150g or 1 large brown onion, peeled and cut in half
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 100g or 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 50g or 1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
- 1 zucchini, roughly chopped
- 1 tbs tomato paste – try making your own!
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbs Fayi Hot Chilli Sauce (optional)
- 30g of honey or sugar (optional or to taste)
- 400g tin of diced tomatoes
- 200g water
- Brown osso bucco pieces (1000g – 1200g) in a heavy based frying pan with some olive oil. Set aside.
- Place onion (150g), garlic (2), carrots (100g), celery (1) and zucchini (1) into the bowl and chop for 15 seconds/speed 4.
- Scrape down sides. Add olive oil (50g) and sauté for 5 mins/100 degrees/reverse/slowest speed.
- Add the rest of the ingredients: browed osso bucco pieces, tomato paste (1 tbs), cinnamon (1 tsp), paprika (1 tsp), hot chili sauce (1 tbs), honey (30g), diced tomatoes (400g) and water (200g).
- Cook for 30 minutes/steaming temperature/reverse/slowest speed/no MC. Place the small simmering basket on top of the lid instead of the MC.
- Traditionally, the whole point of this recipe is to brown the meat. However we don’t always have time to pull out a fry pan and/or we prefer to skip the extra washing up. So it’s ok to skip step 1.
- Do what you prefer and what you have time for as either way it turns out a soft, delicious meal.
- To hide the veggies a bit more, chop them using speed 5 at step 2.
- Serve with a side of rice or add some pasta in the last step to make it more like a soup. Or add the meat to a pan with some rissoni and cook in the oven at 100 degrees, for about 20 minutes until it becomes golden and the rissoni cooks through.
- Make your own tomato paste using this recipe: Fayi Tomato Paste Recipe
- Make your own chilli sauce with this recipe: Fayi Hot Chilli Sauce Recipe
- Peel garlic with this trick: How To Peel Garlic In Your Thermomix