As much as I love eating this nutty flavoured little grain, I never really know what the correct pronunciation is. Is it keen-wah? Or is it quin-noah? Regardless, I like to use quinoa as the base for a salad or as a side for dinner, substitute for rice or add to a poke bowl. Quinoa is gluten free and a great alternative to rice.
Quinoa can be bought in different colours. White the most common but you you can also get red and black grains. You can read all about the differences in their flavour profile here. The main difference to take note of is cooking time. White is the fastest to cook. I add 5 minutes for red quinoa and 10 extra minutes for black.
- 1000g water
- 300g white quinoa
- Add water (1000g) to the bowl and set the small simmering basket into position.
- Weigh quinoa (300g) into the small simmering basket. Use spatula to remove the basket and rinse the quinoa with water.
- Place the small simmering basket back into the bowl and cook for 20 minutes/steaming temperature/speed 4.
- Once cooked, rinse the quinoa under cold water to stop the cooking process and to help the quinoa cool down.
- Amaranth can be prepared using the same recipe instructions.