“It was my husband’s birthday a few weeks ago and I needed to make a quick and easy birthday cake for him to cut with the family. The birthday cake had to cater to everyone in the house so it needed to be chocolate flavour, gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free.
I decided to use one of my “go to” flourless chocolate muffin recipes and turn it into a cake by baking it in a round cake tin. The icing is Quirky Jo’s Gooey Chocolate Icing and the decorations are Hoppers 100s and 1000s.”
- 350g raw cashews
- 5 eggs
- 250g maple syrup or honey
- 60g cacao
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees, fan forced. Grease 10 inch (25cm) cake tin with oil or spray.
- Add cashews (350g) to bowl and mix for 15 seconds/speed 9. Scrape down the side and repeat until it turns into a smooth paste.
- Add eggs (5) and mix for 30 seconds/speed 4.
- Scrape down sides of bowl. Then add all other ingredients: maple syrup (250g), cacao (60g), vanilla extract (1 tbs), salt (1/2 tsp) and baking soda (1 tsp). Mix for 15 seconds/ speed 5. Scrape down sides of bowl and repeat if needed.
- Pour mixture into cake tin and bake for 10 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool before decorating with icing and/or topping.
- This recipe is based on Alejandra Ramos’ Flourless Chocolate Cashew Muffin recipe.
- The icing in the photo is Quirky Jo’s Gooey Chocolate Icing recipe.
- We like using Hoppers 100s and 1000s in our recipes because they are gluten free, dairy, egg, soy and nut free and some are also vegan friendly.
- Carob, maca powder or a banana may be used instead of cacao.