This seriously has to be the most beautiful cake recipe we have ever shared! Perfect for Mother's Day (if your mum likes cake) and perfect for other special celebrations such as birthdays and bridal showers.
Chrystalla made the Chocolate Buttermilk Cake for her sister's Kitchen tea last weekend. The photo below is the same cake but with a caramel icing instead of chocolate icing…
The cake is made with 4 seperate recipes:
1. Chocolate Buttermilk Cake for the base/cake – recipe below…
2. Basic Buttercream to spread over the top of the cake
3. Chocolate Icing to drip over the top of the buttercream and down the sides.
4. Chocolate Macarons to be used in decorating the cake along with eatable flowers…recipe coming soon!
CHOCOLATE BUTTERMILK CAKE
- 300g plain flour
- 275g sugar
- 50g cocoa
- 1 ½ tsp bicarb soda
- ¾ tsp salt
- 345g buttermilk – make your own!
- 125g butter, roughly chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees, fan forced. Grease and line an 10 inch (25cm) round cake tin.
- Add flour (300g), sugar (275g), cocoa (50g), bicarb soda (1 ½ tsp) and salt (¾ tsp). Sift together for 3 seconds/speed 5.
- Scrape down the sides and add buttermilk (375g), butter (125g), eggs (2) and vanilla (1 ½ tsp). Beat for 2 minutes/speed 6.
- Scrape down the sides and then mix for 1 minutes/speed 6.
- Pour cake mixture into the lined cake tin and bake in the oven for about 1 hour or until a testing skewer comes out clean.
- All the cake to cool in the tin for about 5 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack. Allow the cake to completely cool before decorating.
OR DECORATE WITH CARAMEL ICING